Monday, August 31, 2009

Banditos

A number of years ago I heard a song that I really identified with. The song was called "Banditos" by a group called The Refreshments. Though I enjoy the whole song, the line in the song that I'd like to use to relate to today is part of the chorus, 'everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people'.

I've been thinking about this over the weekend. I only started this blog last week and this is only my 4th post and I've already failed miserably to exude the type of attitude that I'd hoped. What I've found in posting these blog entries is that it's hard to not become outraged and sucked into the current day's argumentative banter that is ultimately unproductive. My last post, in particular, was almost completely reactive. Here I will try to do better.

Having thought about it, I've decided that today I am going to try to focus more on solutions, instead of complaining about a world full of 'stupid people'. I checked out a book from the library the other day. I chose it from the other books on the shelf that dealt with the same topic because of the publisher mainly. The book had been published by the Harvard University Press. For the purpose of this post, neither the title nor the contents of that book are of any relevance. As I read through the preface, something occurred to me regarding knowledge. Having been someone who has in the past given in to believing there could be some kind of conspiratorial illuminati-type of group, I realized, reading just the preface of the 600 page text that I had checked out at the local library, that there is no reason for any sort of belief in any sort of illuminati per-sey. What occurred to me is that people who believe in such ideas like an elite ruling class that with-holds knowledge or keeps people in poverty, is not necessary(at the very least in the United States). The fact is that most people who buy into those kinds of conspiracy theories are keeping themselves down and it's easier to blame someone else for their situation than take any responsibility for their own actions or lack thereof.

When it comes to certain ideas regarding the current health care reform, I actually tend to believe the following now: There is not enough emphasis placed on making sure the individual is taking responsibility for his/her own health care. Insurance companies ARE flawed and the fact that they can over-ride a doctor's order is insane just because the insurance companies don't want to cover what the licensed doctor has ordered/prescribed. There are those who don't have insurance because they have not personally made it a priority. There are those who can not afford it and actually need it and want it but don't qualify for coverage or don't have the availability. The issue of preventative health care does not receieve the amount of attention that it deserves. There is too much time and energy focused on 'putting out fires' instead of preventing them when it comes to health care and everyone suffers because of it. This last point especially is why I think the reform is neccessary. Personal accountability is something that many people need to take but don't because they want to rely on others, like the government to take care of it. However, there are those who need the assistance and at times the system needs some regulation.

It has become important to me to take personal responsibility for my health, my well-fare and my general well-being. This has meant that I am personally accountable for the things I put in my body. I am responsible for educating myself about the foods I eat, the vitamins I may need, any medicines I might need and doing all I can personally to treat any ailments that I face. If I put a focus on healthful living, I will be encouraging my body to withstand illness that could detract from my quality of life.

Today I take personal responsibility for the things that I can. But I recognize that there are things I cannot do by myself and that is occasionally neccessary for me to ask for outside help. In the same way with health care, I think it is important to encourage personal responsibility to pursue health while providing an opportunity to recieve help when it is needed and asked for.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment